Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kañiwa Breakfast Delight

I had this idea the other day when I was trying to think of something new and tasty for breakfast. Protein is so important in the morning so I thought kañiwa!  Now that it is finally Spring, well sort of in the Pacific Northwest, I thought about this cereal that I call – Kañiwa Breakfast Delight because it was such a satisfying meal.

Such a variety of flavors and textures - from the little soft crunch of the kañiwa to the sweet dried chewy apricot, tart cherry and the final crunch of the almonds.  The aroma of the lemon infused olive oil was a great surprise too!

This can be served warm or cold and is a great breakfast year round!

Use a 1-3 measurement to make Zócalo Peru Kañiwa
I make 1 cup of kañiwa to 3 cups of water.  I sprinkle a pinch of sea salt in the water to enhance the flavor. Bring it to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  You will see the grain becoming larger as it cooks and almost looks bead like with a tail, similar to quinoa.

Once the kañiwa is cooked, I take it out of the pan and put it into a glass container with a lid for storage. I sprinkle some sea salt, and olive oil infused with lemons on it and let it cool for about 5 -10 minutes.  If you do not have olive oil infused with lemon, just use your favorite olive oil from Spain and add some fresh squeezed lemon juice. Although I ate some with dinner last night, I put the leftovers in the fridge for breakfast the next day.

I scooped out about ¼ cup of the kañiwa, chopped up some dried fruit – apricots and cherries and almonds.  Added it to the bowl, mixed it up and ate it cold! It was perfect, light, crunchy, sweet and tart!
Add whatever dried fruits you like and nuts if you can have them.
Bon Appetit! 
¡buen provecho

Recipe created by Lisa Garza

No comments: