|Peppermint Bark (photo and recipe: Sarah Sarna)|
The best gifts are those can be savored, shared and enjoyed. They aren’t tossed aside when the newest model comes out, and the size always fits. The absolute best gifts are food gifts...and they’re a hit every time (we’ll keep mum on the fruitcake debate). Here are five food gifts that will not only make your loved ones feel loved, but will also make you feel good too. By making and buying these food gifts you’ll be supporting independent businesses, family-owned farms and companies that follow fair labor and eco-friendly practices. Also, what could be better than knowing that your present will end up on someone’s table instead of a landfill? Go ahead; feel a little smug this year knowing that you’re saving the world this holiday season!
1. Peppermint Bark: Everyone loves this holiday classic. Make this recipe extra special with fine dark chocolate from Blanxart. The seven-ounce bars are perfect for making big batches of holiday treats.
2. Cookies: These luscious Ginger Sandwich Cookies with Lemon Cream use Zócalo Sweet Potato Flour which gives them a hearty, sweet flavor. Put them in a pretty box and wrap with parchment and twine for a simple, elegant gift.
|Ginger Sandwich Cookies with Lemon Cream (photo and recipe: Grazed and Enthused)|
3. Smoked Olive Oil: These gorgeous blue bottles of smoky oil are selling like mad! This oil gives any dish – from salads to poultry to sweets a smoked, piquant flavor. No need for fancy wrapping – the bottle speaks for itself.
4. Paella Kit: Paella is easy and fun, provided you start with the right ingredients and tools. This paella kit provides authentic Matiz Paella Rice (a must for the perfect paella!), Spanish saffron and Rey de la Vera smoked paprika nestled in a pretty round paellera.
5. Candy and Nut Box: Make your own perfect little box of mixed candies and nuts for gifting – so much better than the store-bought kind! Our friend Lisa has a few lovely recipes for sweet treats. Try your hand at these Mesquite Honey Salted Almonds and these unique Marcona Kaniwa Quince Bites.